Walking has now become Britain’s most popular past time and with the Covid-19 pandemic more and more people are getting out and finding their feet in the countryside and locally the lovely Surrey Hills that surround us.
Experience Guildford are working with Pete Lambert from Discover Guildford to put some tips together for anyone venturing out for an adventure for the first time.
Top 5 tips:
- Plan ahead. What route will you be taking and how long will it take? There are many fabulous footpaths that can intertwine and lead you to amazing places but plan a route out beforehand and if you can, tell someone what route you are taking. A great website to get detailed and easy to follow walks from is http://fancyfreewalks.org/ You are never far away from a road but if you are lost then it is worth downloading the “What 3 Words” app to a smartphone.
- Check the weather, we are not in the Himalayas but the British weather is changeable all the time especially at this time of year.
- Wear good quality walking shoes/boots as well as comfortable clothing. It may well be muddy. Avoid jeans/denim, take layers with you and #DONTFORGETYOURWATERPROOFS. We have some great independent businesses that you can order your outdoor apparel with www.moffatsonline.co.uk and www.peakperformanceuk.com
- Only take what you need, make sure you have water and snacks but do not overfill with non essentials. You will already be carrying a couple of layers in your daysack so plan your provisions for the journey if you are going to be out for a little while. Also remember your facemask and hand sanitiser and use the sanitiser if you are going through gates or going over stiles. Take your phone/camera and share your experiences.
- Be considerate of the Countryside Code and others around you, always take your rubbish home with you and leave “No Trace” for conservation and for further generations to enjoy the beautiful area we live in. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/900032/countryside-code-poster.pdf